Daniel Butler, Auburn University 2008 recipient of the Gerald and Emily Leischuck Endowed Presidential Awards for Excellence in Teaching, has incredible and fun stories tell.
He tells this one story best -- be sure and watch the 2.5 minute video.
I've listed a few points that describe his role and philosophy in teaching--and the little that I know him--I believe he lives his life this way, too.
- Never forget what it's like to be a kid, they don't know things. You have to figure out what they don't know.
- Use humor and make teaching fun.
- Make a difference one student at a time.
- Treat all students like each one will be the one to save us all.
- You can do whatever you want to do as long you get someone to show you how--that's what teachers do.
- It's all about people.
- It's about people who work hard, care, and encourage each other
- How do we make this a better a place? ....one (War Eagle) at a time.
He learned these principles from very important teachers--his parents--a professional clown and kindergarten teacher.